Self-portrait Sculpture

 Our first task in this term was to make a self-portrait, but in 3D technique. I choose to make a Clay Bust as I like working in clay. I have never done a portrait of myself in 3D, although I have drawn myself many times. I use a small plastic bottle as a base to which I attached a ball of paper and tape. Then I covered it all with clay to get the general shape of the head. I used photos but also mirror so that I could observe my head from different sides and angles. Gradually I started to add more layers of clay until I got a satisfactory result. 

I use my hands and fingers for shaping the surface, but also modelling tools, like clay blades, rollers and cutting knife. I left the surface quite rough, which was the intended idea.












Comments

  1. That is a fantastic piece of work, Adam, really well made and constructed. Well done!

    The task also asked you to add a LINK to another 3D artist that creates portraits - have a look at the work of Alberto Giacometti, Swiss sculptor who worked with bronze, clay, wood etc. Link here: https://www.guggenheim.org/audio/track/head-of-a-man-lotar-i-ca-1964-65-cast-1969-by-alberto-giacometti

    Remember to add your references at the end of your post!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Location-Port Praski